Thursday, March 31, 2011

What do people miss...

I cannot speak for others, therefore I will only speak for myself. Of course I could say that I miss my home, family and friends. All the typical things that have worn into our minds as automatic answers whenever we hear that question. Still, there is so much more, not even to miss but just to remember.

I miss driving on the bus and knowing exactly where I am or driving out of Tallinn and being surrounded by trees the whole way, I miss the nature and the greenness of the trip. I miss waking up in the morning and feeling at home, the feeling of being in my comfort zone. I miss my room, my positive colors, surroundings, my own space.
I definitely miss the free-will I have back in Estonia, to come and go when I want, not having to report back to anyone. It's completely normal to do so, to have some rules in your home, but not in my apartment, my dear 144. Even after 3 months it's still hard for me to be home at a precise time or to text if I'm late. It sucks to feel bad about something that feels so natural to me in Estonia.
Another thing that I come close to every single day is school - I miss it. I miss really learning and participating in all the subjects. The feeling of getting new and interesting information every day, even though it's so nice to take a break and slack for a while, in the end I just started feeling empty, I wanted to study. Still do. Another thing about school is the behavior of people. I miss the jokes, the sarcasm, the child-like actions, the hyper-activeness. I miss it all. Here people are more calm, they just sit and talk, take a smoke, eat. In Estonia it's like a jungle. People are wild and they really do all they can to get the most out of those small breaks. I miss it so much.
Of course there is so much more, I miss the language, people passing me by and me understanding what they're actually saying or turning on the TV and catching a familiar show with Estonian subtitles and so on. Most of all though, I miss myself. I'm not the same here. It's hard to be myself considering my personality. I do that as much as possible, but people here aren't exactly used to weird, hyper active people, who talk way to much. I do my best though to show myself as much as possible and keep it at a normal level, but it's definitely hard to be sedate all the time.

Even though after saying how much positive things there are here. Sometimes I just drive the bus and remember small streets of Tallinn, places I've been to in the summer, certain lessons and so on. Estonia is in my heart.

1 comment:

  1. I got so sentimental reading this. Helen, we are looking forward to meeting you. I must say that life is different without you in our school as well, as you are a strong personality and a leader, and we miss you very much.

    ReplyDelete